Please find the second Newsletter. Hope you are all getting on well with your homework! See you Thursday around 10.30 in Stillorgan.
Quote - "There are two kinds of writer: those that make you think, and those that make you wonder." - Brian Aldiss
On finding your writing voice - http://www.megrosoff.co.uk/2012/02/06/finding-a-voice/#comments
Funny - my favourite actor Alan Rickman in a Broadway play Seminar where a group of young writers hire a critic and teacher Leonard, and what comes out of it. Give the video some time to get to the play scenes.
Vocabulary - a list of rare and beautiful words we can use in writing
Tips from Henry Miller - Commandments of writing and daily routine
What makes popular books popular - just some thoughts of one writer how the Death Factor can make writing gripping
Poetry - How to write a poem
Exercise - Take your favourite poem and write a story based on it, using some key words and metaphors from it, either directly or paraphrasing, but trying to keep the atmosphere and meaning of the poem.
Do the same to your favourite song and listen to it while writing. Try to see how emotions and feelings the music provokes influence your writing.
Video - Some great videos from Margaret Atwood
- on how publishing works - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iMBf6Ddjk&list=FLxgEEZR9f173VxHBdvgIBFg&index=6&feature=plpp_video
- on writing fiction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f47JKc0VKA&list=FLxgEEZR9f173VxHBdvgIBFg&index=7&feature=plpp_video
- on reading - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drr4bDl1d-c&feature=relmfu
- on creative process - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEXX8bkLDI&feature=relmfu
- on why we tell stories - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FsnPzgZJw&feature=relmfu